- 27 April, 2018
- Household, Power Savings, Energy Efficiency
But heading into the cooler months – the chilled winds of winter are only a month away – it’s worthwhile reviewing tips on how to keep the quarterly electricity bills under control.
- Unplug appliances at the source: If you’re not going to be using an appliance for more than 30 minutes, unplugging it at the source is the surest and most cost-effective solution.
- Plug appliances into a power board: Using a power board means you can easily switch off a number of appliances when you’re leaving the house, while sleeping, or going on holiday.
- Consider investing in FutureSwitch clever plugs: These sit between your appliances and the mains socket and are controlled by a wireless remote for convenient shutdown of power to all devices. Easy to install (no electrician required) and easy to operate.
- Select energy efficient appliances: Large models use more energy than small ones with the same star rating. The energy label will provide information about the kWh (units of electricity) dispensed yearly. Select appliances that are the right size for you.
- Plug cube-shaped transformers into a power board: Power transformers such as those found on phone chargers, electronics and computers use a lot of standby power when plugged into the wall; instead plug them into power boards that can be switched off.